Just my thoughts on food, sex, booze, and our crazy life

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What's in a name?

I've been doing a bit of thought about my blogging name "Mistress in the kitchen but pet to my Sir" and felt like I should probably offer a bit of explanation about it.

<<Warning, this blog post may contain a bit of a paleo foods soap box.>>

I am 100% Sir's pet.

With that being said, if the food decisions were left up to him without any dietary investigation, we would be most likely be eating homemade mac and cheese, burgers, pizza and things like that. Which in themselves are not bad, but some of us "cough me" can't quite handle like we would like. I have a gluten allergy that presents itself in numerous wonderful and horrifying ways such as hair loss, bitchiness, and depression when ignored. Because I love Sir, and myself and our little bug, I choose to live a gluten free lifestyle. When we got married his wedding present to me was a gluten free kitchen that I could eat from without getting sick. This was quite the present, especially considering the fact that he can eat whatever he wants without any ill effects.

So, when we moved into our first apartment he said goodbye to eating regular food and said hello to eating a gf lifestyle. (With the exception of beer, because no man should be without his beer). After being gf for a number of years I started noticing that even though I was avoiding gluten like it was the plague, I wasn't feeling as good as I should be. And thus another change in diet. We switched over to eating a primarily paleo diet and stopped buying pasta, sugar, cheese, and grains on a regular basis. I felt better almost instantly. And, even though he is loath to admit it, Sir felt better when he cut down on his sugar intake.

None of this would have been possible though had he not been ok with it. But because he knows that I spend time and energy investigating what a good diet should comprise of, and I try not to throw anything too weird at him, he pretty much goes along with whatever I want to do. Although sometimes he does laugh at my coconut oil obsession.

*As a side note, I use coconut oil for everything.. . including lube for sex. It's amazing and doesn't cause any irritation for me (I have super sensitive skin), and smells good too! I highly recommend it*

As part of this arrangement I try to make sure that every week we have something not so paleo, be it baked apples with homemade bourbon infused whipped cream or nachos. Because eating strict paleo just doesn't work for either of us. We both need our cheats. If he didn't get his regular food every now and then I'm pretty sure that our arrangement just wouldn't work any longer. And I would be far more likely to go indulge in some food that would make me feel like hell if I didn't give myself a cheat.

But point being, anything I do in the kitchen is with his blessing. I may be Mistress there and guide our family's nutrition, but I still run almost every meal by him, and give him a couple of choices to choose from so that I make sure to cook what he wants.

Except apparently this week. This week he took over the cooking and all I have to do is eat what he's prepared (which has been entirely paleo). Because he's amazing like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment